Cycling is good for you, good for the environment, it's fast, it's convenient, it gives you freedom and independence, takes you from door to door, allows you to easypark, is reliable, and even allows you to meet others!
Cycling is one of the easiest ways to keep fit and is a lot cheaper than a gym membership. It can also be a lot handier. And, because the bike takes the strain, cycling is particularly good if you're returning to, or starting to exercise, and is gentler on the knees and ankles than jogging.
So why not use your bike and burn some calories? Cycling is a great form of aerobics but, unlike the aerobics class, it can actually get you from a to b and do so much more:
- 20 minutes of gentle cycling burns up to 100 calories
- Regular cycling makes you fitter - as fit as an average person 10 years younger
- Cycling raises your metabolic rate, helping you to keep the weight off
- Cycling firms the thighs and bottom, while working lower abdominals, taking you that bit closer to the toned tummy
Cycling beats queues, and is the fastest way to get around town. In cities cycling is often twice as quick as driving, and the time you take doesn't vary with traffic, so you will always arrive on time, or even early. And parking, often right outside the door, is encouraged with the added bonus of no traffic wardens giving you a ticket.
- 22 minutes of cycling can take you 4 miles, compared to a journey of 40 minutes by car in a city like London
- Free parking - it costs you nothing, as long as you don't park where you're not meant to
When you cycle you don't spend money on road tax, MOT, or fuel, just the odd sweet bar or treat to give you the energy needed, that you then burn off. Repairing and maintaining your bike is pretty cheap and you can always do it yourself. If you cycle regularly you'll save yourself a fortune, so take your bike on your next trip and there'll be more cash to spend on the finer things in life, like you!
- The energy equivalent of a single litre of petrol will allow you to travel 650 miles on a bike saving you money to spend on more interesting items
- You'll only spend about £75 a year on maintenance, less if you do it yourself, but bike shops are so handy, and some even come to you
Cyclist's emissions don,t bother the person behind, bikes require no motorways, just a nice cycle route, they take up hardly any space and are kinder to wildlifes.
- Cycling is the least polluting way of travelling after walking
- 10 bikes can be parked in the space of one car
- Cycling is perfect for travelling short distances in urban areas - often the most congested and polluted routes
And, of course, cycling can be a lot of fun too. You may not believe it, but once you get out on your bike and experience the freedom and independence it gives you, it's hard to give up.
Why not check out cycle training opportunities to get started
Our Instructors based at the centre can develop your skills and get you cycling safely.